106 - In The Pink
This is a very simple smoked tomato pasta in keeping with our pink
theme. It's also a nice jumping off point to make pastas for different
colour themes. You may wish to try spinach linguine for a green
pasta, yellow tagliatelle with saffron also works. Which ever colour
you choose, it's a simple way to make a dish dazzling!
- 3-cups, smoked tomato fusilli pasta (available at supermarkets
and specialty food shops)
- 6-cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup, shallots, minced
- 1/4 cup. sun-dried tomatoes, sliced into thin strips (soak
sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for a few minutes to remove
some of the salt)
- 1 cup thick tomato sauce
- 1 cup 10% cream (added slowly until sauce reaches desired
- 8-slices prosciutto, cut into thin strips
- pink peppercorns for garnish
- salt to taste
- Cook fusilli in salted water for approximately eight-minutes
or as per directions. Drain and set aside. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high. Add shallots and
allow to saute for a few minutes, until they become translucent.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and allow to saute for a couple of
- Add tomato sauce and allow to saute for a few minutes.
- Stir in cream, a little at a time, until you achieve the desired
tone of pink.
- Add prosciutto strips and allow to cook for an additional
minute or so, until prosciutto is warm.
- Stir sauce into pasta and sprinkle top with pink peppercorns
and salt. (Taste before adding salt, as sun-dried tomatoes and
prosciutto already have a fair amount of salt content)