105 - Sunday Stuff
Monte Christo Sandwich
A great way to impress your breakfast guests. Our Monte Christo
sandwich can be made with almost any type of bread and whatever
you like as a filling. Another nice thing is that if you do decide
to serve the sandwich as part of Breakfast in Bed, it's not too
one Monte Christo Sandwich
- one tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
- two pieces of raisin bread (white, whole wheat and challah
breads also work well)
- one egg, scrambled in a bowl
- one slice Swiss cheese
- two slices smoked turkey breast
- Preheat a preferably non-stick pan on medium-high.
- Dip one piece of bread in the egg.
- Place the Swiss cheese and then the smoked turkey breast slices
- Dip other piece of bread in egg and place on top of sandwich.
- Add oil to pan. Once heated, add sandwich and allow to cook
for a few moments. Once sandwich is browned to your liking,
flip sandwich and cook for a few moments on the other side and
brown, again to your liking.
- To enhance the presentation of the Monte Christo you may wish
to sprinkle the top with icing sugar and add a dollop of Pommery
mustard to the side.
A nice robust coffee is always a welcome drink. The type of juice
you serve is where you can become a little more exotic. How about
guava or lychee juice? Failing that, you can't beat fresh squeezed