112 - Weekend Guests
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup baby squash (can substitute yellow squash)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped Italian parsley
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped oregano
- 2 tablespoons fresh, chopped basil
- Preheat stove to medium high. Into a 9 or 10-inch pot add
extra virgin olive oil. Add onions and garlic and allow to saute
for a few minutes.
- Peel and slice eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Place slices
on cutting board and sprinkle with salt. Allow the slices to
sit for a few minutes and then pat them dry with a paper towel.
This removes some of the bitter taste sometimes associated with
- Once onions and garlic have sauteed for a few minutes, add
the green pepper and tomatoes. Cover pot and allow to simmer
for a few minutes. As the vegetables cook, their water content
will cause them to reduce in size.
- Add the zucchini and baby squash, cover pot and allow to simmer
a few minutes.
- Add eggplant, black olives, oregano and basil. Cover pot and
allow to cook for a few minutes more.