312 - Spa Day
Lo Cal Delicious
How could I possibly talk about Spa Day without giving you a wonderful recipe for a low calorie luncheon or dinner? "Low calorie, guilt free": the motto for a day at the spa.
Here's the low down on low cal spa food: my recipe for Tuna Salad Surprise!
- 2 8 oz. Cans of white tuna, water packed, unsalted
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ yellow tomato, quartered
- ½ seedless cucumber, chopped, skin left on
- ½ yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, shaved
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup cauliflower, blanched, chopped
- handful of onion sprouts
- handful alfalfa sprouts
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 head Boston Lettuce
- sesame seeds
- 1 red pepper, sliced (for garnish)
Place tuna in bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
*Please try not to vary the recipe as there will be a specific calorie count at the end.
- 1 tsp wasabi horseradish (you may want to vary the amount as it's very strong)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (you can add lime juice instead)
- 4 tbsp rose wine (you can use white or non-alcoholic apple juice or water)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Place wasabi in bowl and add lemon juice, wine, rice wine vinegar. Whisk.
*Note there is no oil in the dressing which makes it a nice low calorie alternative.
Present on a plate with 4 large leaves of lettuce. Place generous portion of salad (approximately 4 tbsp) onto center of leaves.
Drizzle a bit of dressing over top (you can also place dressing on table and allow guests to dress their own salad).
Sprinkle sesame seeds over top.
Garnish with vegetable of your choice (we used red pepper).
Are you ready for the final calorie count? - Only 209 calories. Not bad! Keeps us slim, trim, and satisfied. Enjoy!