208 - Cocktails at Eight
The Set Up
So you want to throw a cocktail party. Great! The key is to make
your home comfortable by allowing your guests enough room to roam
around, making it easy for them to get at drinks and nibbles that
you’ve prepared and above all, in getting to know each other. Here
are some easy suggestions to prepare your home for this fun evening.
- You may wish to move some larger furniture like easy chairs out
of the living room or area in which the party is being hosted. I’ve
always found that comfortable folding chairs make a good seating
alternative. They can be easily moved by you or your guests. These
can be rented at a nominal charge and come in a wide range of colours
Clearing the way
- We cleared the way so people could rest drinks and also to allow
us to put out nibbles and food.
- Always great to have on hand; they can be anything from a selection
of spiced nuts to hot and cold hors d’oeuvres. Let your imagination
be your guide. Drinks - Always make sure you have enough on hand.
You may wish to set up a wine or drinks station in the area so your
guests won’t have to leave an interesting conversation to visit
- Candles are very important. A good choice is something lightly
scented, like vanilla. Place them strategically throughout the room.
They add some romantic lighting and help to clear the air, so to
- While this is subjective, my suggestions for a cocktail party
include, what else, cocktail music. Try something like Johnny Hartman,
classic Ella Fitzgerald, Cole Porter or Dinah Washington. Sounding
Last tip, relax! Hosting a party means that you too
are supposed to have fun!