204 - La Dolce Vita
Spice It Up!
Using flavoured oils to vary your favourite recipes will add subtle
and unexpected taste.
Nik’s suggestion for ingredients you might use include:
- mustard seed
- roasted bulbs of garlic
- dried blueberries
- sun dried yellow or red tomatoes
- various hot chili peppers
- assorted peppercorns and fresh herbs.
- Sterilize equipment carefully by submerging jars and spoons
in a large pot of boiling water for at least ten minutes. Dry
in an oven set to 225 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes. Allow
- Place a clean, dry spring of Rosemary into a jar, and push
it down into the bottle with the end of a wooden spoon or fork.
Add mustard seeds, peppercorns and a few chili peppers. (Or
whichever combination you choose) Cover with extra virgin olive
- Insert cork snugly and let the flavoured oil rest in a cool,
dark place for one month. (If storing in the refrigerator, the
olive oil may solidify but will return to liquid at room temperature.)
Enjoy with your favourite recipes where ever olive oil is called